IMG_2796.heic
trinity-logo-2020_orig-1.png

Trinity AME Church History 

  • Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church is the oldest black church in the city of Lansing, Michigan. Its first services were held in a building on North Washington Avenue.

  • In 1866, the church, formally organized by the Reverend Mr. Henderson of the British Methodist Episcopal Church, was called the Independent Methodist Episcopal Church.

  • In 1875, it reorganized as Bethel A.M.E. Church.

  • In 1877, a modest brick church was erected near the original site. It served the congregation for eighty-eight years. 

  • In 1902, upon the death of Reverend George R. Collins, the pastor for many years, the church was renamed the George R. Collins A.M.E. Church.

  • In 1964, the church received its present name Trinity A.M.E. Church. 

  • In 1965, the congregation was forced to relocate to make room for the State Capitol Complex building project. Selling its downtown property to the State of Michigan. 

  • In 1966, Ingham County's oldest black congregation then moved to 3500 W. Holmes Road, where it built a church and a parsonage. Starting with twenty-one members, it now had over 400 members.